How to Apply for Housing

What type of housing do we provide?

Independent Housing for Older People:

SHS Independent Housing for Older People is for people aged 55 years or over who wish to live independently but may require a degree of support to do so.

We have a number of flats spread across ten schemes within the London Borough of Sutton, some of which are designed for wheelchair users.

We also have a Housing with Care scheme (for those with additional care needs) in Wallington called Cloverdale Court. This has an on-site care team 24/7 and a Day Centre which operates Monday – Friday.

As part of living in our Independent Housing for Older People or Housing with Care properties, you have access to a Monitoring Centre providing 24 hour emergency cover should you need it.

At Cloverdale Court there is also a Manager providing support and assistance to those tenants that need a little extra help to manage their tenancy and to assist our tenants to live as independently as possible.

For more information on the Sheltered Housing’s name change, please click here.

Independent Housing for Older People Schemes:

Older Persons Housing:

We have four developments, three in Wallington and one in Hackbridge, that are designated for Older Persons aged 55 years and above. These consist of one bedroomed flats and offer fully independent living for single persons or couples.

Older Persons Housing:

General Housing:

The Society has a number of one and two bedroomed flats and two, three and four bedroomed houses available for rent across the London Borough of Sutton and are designed for families and single people. Some of these are suitable for wheelchair users and some designated as disabled persons units.

Supported Units:

In partnership with local specialist agencies we offer a number of self-contained flats where support is provided to the tenants by these specialists. These properties are available for young people leaving care, people with mental health difficulties, with learning disabilities and ex-offenders.

SHS’s Lettings Policy

How do I apply?

Independent Housing for Older People or Older Persons Housing

Please call our Housing Assistant on 020 8915 2951, email us at, or download an application form to join our waiting list. We offer 50% of our vacancies to the London Borough of Sutton. We would recommend that you also contact the Housing Department on 020 8770 5000 and apply to be accepted on to their waiting list.

Housing with Care

Nominations for our Housing with Care scheme come from Social Services and the Housing Department of the London Borough of Sutton. Please contact these departments on 020 8770 5000 so that a process of assessment for suitability can be undertaken.

General Housing

We do not keep a separate waiting list for these properties. All vacancies are filled via nominations from the London Borough of Sutton. As the Borough will only nominate people on their waiting, transfer or homeless persons lists, please contact their Housing Department on 020 8770 5000. Although we do not hold a waiting list for general housing, we do consider mutual exchange applications from tenants of other social landlords. For more information on this, please visit their website at

Housing Application Form

Lettings Policy

Sample Tenancy Agreement

Residents Handbook – Housing for Older People

Residents Handbook – General Needs Housing

Mutual Exchange Policy