Tenancy Agreements

All tenants sign a Tenancy Agreement before moving into their property. This Agreement is a legally binding document. It sets out rights and responsibilities for tenants and for the Landlord. This will depend on what type of tenancy you have.

As a resident you are consenting to:

  • pay your rent and service charge in advance
  • look after your garden and common areas including the bin areas
  • keep the property in a good clean, tidy condition and proper decorative order
  • not allow anyone within your household or visiting your property to act in an antisocial way
  • tell us if there is any change in your household
  • tell us if you are leaving your property for more than four weeks
  • allow us to carry out an inspection before you leave your home and give a forwarding address
  • occupy the property as your main home
  • ask for permission to make any alterations or improvements to your home
  • ask to transfer or assign your tenancy to someone else, and
  • ask for permission to keep a lodger

These conditions apply to everyone who lives in the home. This includes children, relatives, friends or guests living or visiting your home. You will be responsible if they breach any of these responsibilities.

Tenure Policy

Please see the Sample Tenancy Agreement below:

Sample Tenancy Agreement

General Tenancy areas

Car parking

You should park only in specified car parking areas, not on pavements, footpaths or verges. Your vehicle must be taxed and you must not carry out major vehicle repairs in parking areas. Disabled parking bays will be clearly marked and are only for use by people with a valid disabled parking badge.

Communal areas

If you pay a service charge, the cleaning and gardening will be done by our maintenance contractors. You should not store anything in the communal areas.

Only or main home

The home that you rent from Sutton Housing Society should be your only or main home. If you live somewhere else most of the time, you put your tenancy in jeopardy and could lose the home.

Transferring your tenancy

You can transfer your tenancy through a mutual exchange by swapping with another council or housing association tenant, more details under Lettings.


For more information about recycling, please click here.