Aids & Adaptations

If you are living in one of our properties and have difficulty getting around your house then we may be able to help.

  • Aids and adaptations can be arranged for people who need their homes to be altered to help them live more independently. Mobility problems can often be overcome by carrying out alterations and other changes can be made to improve accessibility, remove hazards or increase safety and security in your home.
  • Often simple changes can make a big difference. For example, fitting a grab rail to help you out of the bath, flashing doorbells, stair rails and lever taps. It can also include more major changes to your home such as showers that are the same level as the floor to make them easier to get in and out of.
  • We want to be sure that we can identify the adaptations best suited to help you. If you or someone you live with thinks you need an adaptation in your home our Trusted Assessor or an Occupational Therapist will assess your needs. You may need to arrange this with the council’s Occupational Therapist from Adult Social Care or the Children with Disabilities Team, as appropriate.
  • In most cases, we will pay for small changes to your home if our Trusted Assessor or an Occupational Therapist has recommended work. Once any new aids or adaptations have been fitted in your home we will usually look after them. We may charge you for this, either through a service charge or re-charge policy if applicable.

For further information please contact:

Your Community Housing Officer on 020 8642 1500 (for Independent Housing for Older People/Housing with Care properties)