When repairs are requested that would otherwise be the tenants responsibility, SHS will act to prevent properties deteriorating by undertaking the repair and recovering the cost from the tenant.
Our aim is to promote a responsible attitude by tenants toward their property by ensuring that costs are pursued from those who are negligent and deliberately cause damage.
Court costs are rechargeable.
Definition of recharge
Recharge repairs are defined as repairs that are caused by damage to fixtures and fittings internally or externally (garden/garage) by a tenant, a member of the tenant’s household or tenant visitors, that cannot be attributed to fair wear and tear through the duration of their tenancy. Please see our repairs and responsibilities page for more information.
Where damage has been caused due to crime, and there is a crime reference number, a recharge may not be applied.
Examples of recharges
- Request by tenant to be let into their flat / house because they are locked out – in the event of a staff member on site, this charge may be waived.
- Cost for replacement lock together with two keys should you lose your keys.
- Cost for replacement padlock together with two keys should you lose your keys.
- Broken window panes (resulting from resident damage).
- Repairs to faulty plumbing/appliance to tenants own washing machine/dishwasher etc.
- Repairs to tenant improvements, eg shower installations.
- Reinstatement resulting from unauthorised alterations / DIY including any external works.
- Removing rubbish from property or fly tipped outside.
- Removal of graffiti and rectifying wilful damage.
- Eradication of wasp / bees and other household pests (not including squirrels, rodents, cockroaches and bedbugs).
- Court costs, injunctions and legal fees incurred by Sutton Housing Society.
- Failed appointments / abortive contractors costs.
- Cost of repairs that are due to wilful damage, abuse and/or neglect.
- Call out to a power cut to flat if no credit on a pay as you go meter.
- Call out to reset an electrical fuse box tripped by faulty appliance.
- Request to replace light bulb / tube / starter.
- Call outs in connection with smoke alarms (general needs properties only).
- Costs of storing, removing and disposing of household contents including furniture.
- Blocked drains / sinks/ showers/ toilets by disposable nappies, sanitary towels, incontinence pads etc.
- TV reception problems if tenant equipment faulty.
- Any other costs, or tenant responsible items as defined under the terms of the tenancy agreement.
The above list is not exhaustive.
Recharge payment methods
In line with good practice, when tenants report a repair request, officers who take the call/email/or face-to-face, will inform tenants if the repair is a potential recharge, advise them of the approximate guide cost and agree a payment method.
Payment methods available are in line with current rent payment methods. Payment may also be spread over a period of time (payment plan). The charge will be invoiced at cost once the invoice is received from the contractor.
We would remind all our tenants that we recommend they take out contents insurance as some recharge items may be covered under the insurance policy.
If you have any queries or concerns on any of the above, please contact our repairs and maintenance department on 07874 866 342.
Sutton Housing Resident’s App
Our Resident’s App gives you 24/7 access to many services and to information specific to you. This simple tool means that everything from your rent statements to scheme information can be accessed anytime, anywhere with the tap of a button.Find out more about our Resident App
The resident app makes it easy to deal with Sutton Housing Society.Nigel Coo, resident